Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chapter 4

An outline:
v. 1-9 Grandfather's Teaching "Get Wisdom"
v. 10-19 Paths of Righteousness and Wickedness. The path of wisdom is like a clear and well-lit path
v. 20-27 Anatomy of Righteousness. Wisdom is like a sound and healthy body

Question: Yahweh is not mentioned in this chapter. Why not? What can we glean about God in this proverb even though he is not mentioned?

Thoughts: "Noting the absence of God's name, voice, or direct action in some of the wisdom books, or Ruth, or Esther the rabbis of old asked, "Where is God's hand?" The answer: nowhere and everywhere. God's hand is never absent, but it is sometimes gloved. **Think Wizard of Oz creepy man behind the curtain** Although **creepy man does not equal God**
Chapter 4 closely parallels chapter 3, however in this chapter the emphasis is on heading earthly parents who get their example from our heavenly parent (the father's instruction 4:1 and Yahweh's discipline 3:11) instead of directly just heading God. This chapter links God's desire to teach and shape character (3:11-12) to the tradition of parents teaching their children.

Question: What does this chapter say about learning?

Thoughts: Proverbs is a book about education (this chapter is all about the transmission of wisdom): but ironically the book talks more about learning than it does about teaching. Proverbs keeps saying: learn! learn the right things! learn from wise teachers! Pedagogy is just starting to come to terms with the idea that Proverbs stresses over and over again: the learner is responsible for his or her own learning. The learner has choices, the learner has options. The learner decides.
This chapter also comments on the power structure of teaching: teaching and control are not the same thing. Sadly, many teachers and parents don't know this. Proverbs is teaching us to avoid this connection by viewing teaching as a legacy, a gift that can be accepted or rejected, heeded or ignored.

Question: What the relationship between heart and mouth in this chapter?

Thoughts: The exploration of the connection of heart and mouth is very similar to secular wisdom sayings contemporary to Proverbs. Here is an example: Papyrus Insiner "He who guards his heart and tongue will sleep without an enemy".

What does this chapter tell us about discipline?

-----

3 comments:

  1. I don't really know what to say after I read your thoughts because I agree with everything and I don't have a masters.
    I like the idea of God always being present with us even if we can't see him or what he's doing in our lives- the hand vs glove. But I don't really see how this chapter illustrates that.
    I thought of it as the father and grandfather being rooted in God, and teaching the son to follow wisdom because they know it's valuable because they followed it, and because of their relationship with God. So even though they don't talk about God, we know that their wisdom comes from God.

    The connection between heart and mouth makes me think of being able to control my own moods, and how not controlling them can affect other people. If I have a badittude and I let it control me, I will probably say things to people that I will regret, and I may not actually feel that way. But if I let my heart control my mouth, I think that is a better way to live. Maybe?

    I think this chapter, and I suspect lots of this book, has lots to say about discipline, though perhaps not explicitly. How are we supposed to be able to follow wisdom always, ignore evil and guard our hearts without discipline?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are my thoughts on chapter four and the questions...

    With regard to the relationship between heart and mouth..."guard your heart for everything you do flows from it." I've heard it said that in Hebrew culture, the heart was like our version of the "mind." I feel like the mind is filled with our beliefs, convictions, understandings, character, etc. So, all of those things determine your words and actions. So, your mouth is the action/verbalization of the internal. Maybe?

    In terms of thinking about discipline in this chapter, discipline, to me is the lack of laziness and apathy. It is being active and thought-ful and considering what you're doing and saying. I think that, if you look at the verbs in this chapter that seem to describe the wise, you'd find that they are indeed very action-oriented...again. Just like what I wrote last week.
    - listen
    - pay attention
    - take hold of
    - keep commands
    - don't forget
    - don't forsake
    - cherish
    - embrace
    - listen
    - hold on to
    - avoid
    - pay attention
    - don't let out of sight
    - guard
    - keep
    - careful thought
    - be steadfast

    I feel affirmed and inspired and encouraged to think about discipline in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just some thoughts,

    Proverbs talks about Wisdom in the same way that we talk about Jesus now.
    Wisdom leads us along "straight paths", and illuminates the path so we do not stumble. In the same way that Jesus is often described.
    This feels as if Jesus has replaced wisdom. However I believe that they are not separate but binary. Jesus became the human expression of Wisdom. In him one can see can see the perfection that wisdom brings.

    First Question: I think that God is not mentioned formally in chapter 4 has to do with the fact that it is more than just Gods job to teach children the right and wrongs. It calls parents to be examples and teachers to their children about a life directed by God. An idea of leading by example.
    Similar to the ideas of baby dedications, the community and family support the child. In the hope that through sharing the love of God the child will come to know God.

    Thank you Liz for posting chapter 3 and 4!

    ReplyDelete