Tuesday, June 28, 2011

CHAPTASICKS

Hey Friends!

Haven't heard much from many of you in the last couple of weeks and I'm not sure if its because we've gotten busy, or forgotten about the blog, or just didn't have anything to say...so if its any of those things, instead of writing up tons of questions and lots of comments, here's the assignment/challenge:
Read Proverbs 6
Write down what stood out - whether it was a chunk, a word, a verse, whatever...

Let's just get some thoughts up and get some discussion going. Once there's some stuff up on the page, I'll get some key things up from Liz's commentary and we'll get going. I sometimes find that I get overwhelmed with tons of questions and ideas and, once in a while, need a blank slate. Let's give that a shot and see how it goes.

Also, if you're really stuck or struggling...
  • Take the first 10 verses and read them in your head or aloud.
  • Read them again.
  • Give yourself 5 minutes of silence to think and ponder and mull over what you just read.
  • Read the verses again.
  • Give yourself 5 more minutes to think and ponder etc.
  • Read the verses again.
  • Write down what stood out..whether it was themes, ideas, words, etc.
You just did...lectio divina! Hurrah! Google it to find out more!

LOVE!!

8 comments:

  1. Oh man I love the ant! I can be a little lazy sometimes... but that ant is smart.

    Debt - Visas are my/our enemy. I don't have a lot of self-control with visa and end up paying ridiculous interest. It takes a lot to live a debt-free life. It requires discipline and forward-thinking. Especially after Stacy's sermon on Amos, I'm starting to pray more about how I spend my money....

    Vs 12-15. Talking out of both sides... seems slimy. But boy do I like to be diplomatic about basically everything, please all the right people, etc. Instead of agreeing with everyone, I am trying to think about what I say a bit. Thinking BEFORE speaking is always a good idea.

    Favorite verse (translated from the message): "Can you build a fire in your lap and not burn your pants?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love lectio devina - thanks for suggesting it, erin! it is especially helpful in this case for me, as nothing really jumped out at me from this chapter. in fact, this chapter seems the strangest to me so far, but hey.

    i am a bit thrown off by the portrayal of poverty in verses 9-11. it definitely perpetuates the stereotype that people are only poor because they're too lazy to do any real work. that my friends is simply not true. it's way more complicated than that. however, i suppose that solomon is just trying to paint one picture, and offers us one example of the dangers of sloth (plus i have to remember that this was a different society so i am being kind of anachronistic with my projections of poverty i guess).

    i like the six things that the lord hates, because they are things that i think we can all relate to being disgusted by. no one really likes pride, condescension, judgement, lies, injustice, oppression, or violence, nor selfish plotting, hyporcrisy, etc. so i like that god also doesn't like these things. it makes me love his character (which is the opposite of all this) even more and it makes me want to be more like him and less like these things. make sense?

    verses i loved:

    "bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck. when you walk they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you wake, they will speak to you. for these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light."

    i love and miss you all, victoria!

    i know it's talking about parental advice, but i also think this applies to biblical principles in general. and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those last two sentences/paragraphs should be switched around. aka i know that the verses i quoted are talking about parental advice, but...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am rather confused about this passage.
    I definitely worry about idleness, even feeling a bit reprimanded. There not being too much work with my Dad's company and everything.
    At the same time maybe feeling idle in regards to serving God, i am not really sure how to start that whole shenanigans.

    i don't really know what to think about the adultery talk, i am not sure i am exactly a midst that sort of thing these days. that part felt like just an interesting thing to read

    I did giggle a bit in verse 26 'the prostitute reduces you to a loaf of bread'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Agreed re: loaf of bread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What really stuck out to me here was : Free yourself
    Generally I am used to God being the enabler, being free in God.
    This chapter made me think of our accountability. God has already done his part, in reaching down to us. We are now to respond. Not to say we should do it without him, but to say that we shouldn't expect abundance when we neglect our spiritual lives.

    It seems it is often easy to blow off issues, with a " don't worry , be happy" kind of attitude. This is more like " don't worry-but do something about it."

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is Paige not Blythe:

    As I can still not post for some reason using my account I will be using Blythes for now.

    I have really enjoyed reading Proverbs so far and reading the posts put up by you - they have been very informative and also lead to me lots of questions which is always good.

    I'm not going to go back and post on all the ones I've missed so far so I will just start here at Erins.

    I really enjoyed this chapter and have found that the last few chapters have very much spoken into my life. For me the "Adulterous Women" is very much my old life of just doing whatever I please and not following what God had set out for me and how he knows my life should be lived for the better. Working at the hotel is like working in a "Brothel of Adulterous Women" and it has been a huge challenge for me. These chapters remind me that we don't need to be led astray because we have God to lean on.

    I thought that 7:1-5 painted a good picture of God.
    Vs 1: Listen to Gods word
    2: His word will guide and protect you
    3: Keep him and his word close to your heart
    4: God is Wisdom and Understanding
    5: understanding this will help you stay on straight paths.

    Final Point: I miss you and love you all so muc

    ReplyDelete
  8. This proverb is one of the most different I like Blythe have come across. Especially the first 17 verses, as they seem to be a jumble of thoughts.
    The idea that we shouldn't make promises unless we can keep them, and when we can't we must strive to full fill the duties to whom we promised
    It intrigues me how these verses about promises are situated between two sections about sex. Maybe this has to do with the fact that marriage is the ultimate earthy promise, and even in the face of adversary we must strive to keep the promises made with our partners. That we cannot sleep or rest in relationships we must be continually growing so as not to be made poor in love.

    The seven things God detests was also very interesting, as Blythe noted they are "pride, condescension, judgement, lies, injustice, oppression, or violence, nor selfish plotting, hyporcrisy, etc". Whats most interesting is these seven things are similar to the seven deadly sins in some ways but not in others.

    ReplyDelete