Thursday, July 7, 2011

chptrsvn

Hey Ladies,
My apologies on my lateness in getting something up to encourage you to think about chapter seven. I really enjoyed Liz's visuals last week and thought I might try something similar this week (to a lesser degree...) Last night I was reading some interesting stuff in the commentary, and I'll toss that up as a separate post probably tomorrow.


Let us begin:
Warning Against the Adulterous Woman
1 My son, keep my words
and store up my commands within you.
2 Keep my commands and you will live;
guard my teachings as the apple of your eye.
3 Bind them on your fingers;
write them on the tablet of your heart.
4 Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,”
and to insight, “You are my relative.”
5 They will keep you from the adulterous woman,
from the wayward woman with her seductive words.


6 At the window of my house
I looked down through the lattice.
7 I saw among the simple,
I noticed among the young men, a youth who had no sense.
8 He was going down the street near her corner,
walking along in the direction of her house
9 at twilight, as the day was fading,
as the dark of night set in.


10 Then out came a woman to meet him,
dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent.
11 (She is unruly and defiant,
her feet never stay at home;
12 now in the street, now in the squares,
at every corner she lurks.)
13 She took hold of him and kissed him
and with a brazen face she said:

14 “Today I fulfilled my vows,
and I have food from my fellowship offering at home.
15 So I came out to meet you;
I looked for you and have found you!
16 I have covered my bed
with colored linens from Egypt.
17 I have perfumed my bed
with myrrh, aloes and cinnamon.
18 Come, let’s drink deeply of love till morning;
let’s enjoy ourselves with love!
19 My husband is not at home;
he has gone on a long journey.
20 He took his purse filled with money
and will not be home till full moon.”

21 With persuasive words she led him astray;
she seduced him with her smooth talk.
22 All at once he followed her
like an ox going to the slaughter, like a deer stepping into a noose
23 till an arrow pierces his liver, like a bird darting into a snare,
little knowing it will cost him his life.


24 Now then, my sons, listen to me;
pay attention to what I say.
25 Do not let your heart turn to her ways
or stray into her paths.
26 Many are the victims she has brought down;
her slain are a mighty throng.
27 Her house is a highway to the grave,
leading down to the chambers of death.

Prompting Questions/Thoughts...


  • Sometimes I zone out when reading Proverbs. I sometimes feel like because much of these writings are, as Liz mentioned in earlier posts, directed to a son, and I'm not a son, there's less of a calling on my life and I miss the impact of these warnings. Because of that...

  • Who is the Adulterous woman in your life (not specifically a person, but you know what I mean)? What is she leading you into? What is she leading you away from? How does her influence look in your life? How can you be aware of this? What are her "persuasive words" and "smooth talk" in your ears?

  • As always with the chapters that don't specifically speak about God, how does this passage indirectly speak about God? What about his character is brought out through these words?

  • Do you feel convicted by anything in this chapter? Does anything hit your heart?

10 comments:

  1. Oh the seductress! As I said earlier. I will refer to her as gigolo-jack. One Gigolo-jack for me is closing myself off to others: being self-protective, not talking about real things, not having authentic, transparent relationships and just keeping it surfacey and all small talky.
    Another side of this Gigolo-Jack is not being real to myself, not being introspective, and taking time to process what's going on in my life and reflect on what God is doing in my life, and how he is pushing me or nudging me in his Word.
    Gigolo-Jack tempts me into his bed with stuff that distracts me: too much alone time, TV, selfish pursuits instead of relating in a authentic way to the people in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. i agree; i also sometimes zone out - especially during these long drawn-out warnings against the adulteress. there seems to be a lot of that. but i guess that's fair, because there is a lot of temptation (though often not necessarily sexual) in this world and i would be a fool to say "pff this doesn't apply to me!" (though i often feel, like erin, that because i'm not a hormonal son figuring out his way in the world, that it doesn't).

    2. image is a major adulteress in my life. i have been recently convicted by verses such as isaiah 3:16-22 that talk about women who are overly concerned with physical appearance. working in the inner city community has made me really aware of perspective and how irrelevant wordly standards of beauty are and how i waaaay too readily buy into them. i am enticed by pretty things: clothes, fashion, jewellery, faces, cool haircuts, etc. i think it's totally ok to be interested in these things to a degree (especially from an artistic/aesthetic point of view), but there is no part of me that wants my life to be ruled by caring about having this stuff/how i look in it. i don't want to be consumed by consumption and image. that is an empty, shallow life.

    my job at the mustard seed is part theoretical/educational, and we take classes every thursday morning. we get assignments from time to time, and a recent assignment was to give up something that we feel unnecessarily attached to - something that is preventing us from being good stewards. i felt very convicted to give up wearing makeup (we only have to give it up for a month) and so i have. it's been really good for showing me how tricked i was into caring about appearance (also, remotely decent looking women get a lot of negative attention in the community that i work in, so it's nice to look like crap sometimes). but the point is that we are FOOLS when we care about outwards appearance too much! god could care less about it (we were created OUTSIDE of worldly standards of beauty therefore there is beauty in everything, especially our imperfections). i know that coming from the girl who used to straighten her hair every day at camp and the girl who wouldn't go in the pool for fear of having her hair curl (liz, i'm so sorry that you had to deal with this crap - haha), this probably sounds hypocritical. BUT, i would like to think that god has been really working on this area of my heart this past year. outward image is nothing without substance, and substance is infinitely more important.

    3. and 4. what stands out to me is the idea that we should store these commands on our heart (7:1-5) and that we should "not let our heart turn to [the adulteress'] ways or stray into her paths" (7:25). i think the heart has its own gaze and it can be either destructive or life-giving. at yoga the instructors always tell us to look in the direction that we want our bodies to go. last night my instructor said "look UP - your body will follow. if you're looking down or all around, your body is going to be all over the place. let the gaze dictate the stretch." i immediately thought how directly this applies to our life with christ. if we are pursuing him and focussing on him and praying without ceasing then our lives are going to live out/follow that gaze. if we are distracted by shiny things/adulteresses/image, then our hearts will follow and our lives will pursue these things too. it kind of reminds me of that verse that says "where your heart is there your treasure will be also" (jesus says this at some point - it's in luke). i need to constantly take inventory of where my heart is gazing. and store up wisdom in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I relate to both Blythe and Liz with regard to this chapter. I agree that I am easily swayed by trends/look/appearance/etc. I try to not let these things really influence my interactions with people, but I certainly know how they affect my inner-self. Additionally, I can definitely relate to Liz's comments about not being real/deep in my relationships and kind of offering a shadow of my true self only because I don't allow myself opportunity to reflect and truly think. I feel convicted that, even though I enjoy alone-time and being an introvert, I don't use that time wisely. I sleep. I go on facebook. I read about horses. I do irrelevant things that don't feed me. I become convinced that this is "my time" when, really, all time that I have is God's time. I also, just last night, talked to someone who zoned out from God for 10 years of their life. I thought about how sad that is that this person simply got lazy in their relationship with God and didn't engage, share, reflect, learn and grow..and how now, that feels like such a shame...such a bummer. I guess its like looking back on a friendship with someone, and being saddened at a time apart that didn't need to happen. This serves as a good reminder to me..don't be persuaded by this adulteress/gigalo-Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blythe, you not getting your hair wet constantly ruined my camp week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think a major 'seductress' in my life is just the idea of living my life in ease. for the majority of my life i've struggled with two fairly major anxiety disorders, so i've kind of learned to ignore the toughest parts of life under the assumption that they will just figure themselves out. it does somewhat help in the short term; however, this very often ends up manifesting itself as apathy. when issues arise, i find myself getting lazy in my relationships (both with God and with others) because it's easier than struggling through.

    what i see of the character of God here is this: God doesn't want us to buy into fake/worldly/cheap versions of the true happiness he intends for us. he asks us to have control over our earthly desires because he has so much more waiting for us.

    verse 23 stood out to me. i remember reading it in the message: "like a bird flying into a net/not knowing that its flying life is over"
    allowing the simplification that birds live to fly, i understood it that somethings which we willingly step into may not literally bring our end, but they will take away all we live for - all the good that God has intended for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ( i made ten terrible typos so I had to re-post this, i blame sun stroke)


    Girls can be so self focused yet so oblivious to themselves at the same time. I think this chapter is also a reminder of the power we can have over men, by influence. When we wear revealing clothes we are tempting men, when we are flirtatious we are tempting men, there are so many things girls tend to brush off as "friendliness" or "fashion" that are detrimental to our brothers. I know sometimes I am lazy and wear stretchy yoga pants when hanging out with my boyfriend, even though he has asked me to refrain, multiple times. I think there are simple things we can do as females to make it easier on the men. (at least in my case. sorry if that was way too much infoooo)
    That being said, men can just as influential over women.


    I feel convicted to stop being dependent on other people or things to fill up my days. I feel I have been losing sight of simplicity in my life. Even just by having to always be around friends. Partially it is that living in a new city has been hard, and every time I am alone I feel uncomfortable. Today I am taking the day to pray and not make plans. To read and take time to assess the way I live my life, the routines I fall into. Making sure that my peace of mind always comes from God, and that I remain with a healthy balance that INCLUDES solitude, time to recharge with God

    A few things I want to incorporate in my daily thoughts
    -A prayer for simplicity every morning
    -time in nature(biking to work)
    and SUBSTANTIAL time with God. While praying throughout the day and tasks is so wonderful, sometimes it is my way of coping out of taking a good hour to pray or read the bible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your thoughts, kim, amt, and erin. i love that message re-working, kim. AMT & ERIN: yaaa! time carved out for god is day-changing and ultimately life/character-changing. why do we sacrifice it for trivial pursuits like facebook or other escapist activities?

    liz: sorry. from me and my 16-yr old self.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think this was for last chapter, but none the less. still good points.

    this is Paige not Blythe:

    As I can still not post for some reason using my account I will be using Blythes for now.

    I have really enjoyed reading Proverbs so far and reading the posts put up by you - they have been very informative and also lead to me lots of questions which is always good.

    I'm not going to go back and post on all the ones I've missed so far so I will just start here at Erins.

    I really enjoyed this chapter and have found that the last few chapters have very much spoken into my life. For me the "Adulterous Women" is very much my old life of just doing whatever I please and not following what God had set out for me and how he knows my life should be lived for the better. Working at the hotel is like working in a "Brothel of Adulterous Women" and it has been a huge challenge for me. These chapters remind me that we don't need to be led astray because we have God to lean on.

    I thought that 7:1-5 painted a good picture of God.
    Vs 1: Listen to Gods word
    2: His word will guide and protect you
    3: Keep him and his word close to your heart
    4: God is Wisdom and Understanding
    5: understanding this will help you stay on straight paths.

    Final Point: I miss you and love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH MAN - I love all your soul searching ways!!!! such depth in this group - such depth!
    Paige - please don't get herpes

    ReplyDelete